What are cookies?
Cookies are small strings of text that web sites a user visits send to the user’s terminal (normally to the web browser), where they are stored in memory so that they can be sent back to the same site the next time the same user visits it. When browsing a web site, the user’s terminal may also receive cookies sent by different web sites or servers (referred to as “third-party cookies”), which may contain a number of items of information (such as images, maps, sounds, specific links to pages in other domains) present on the web site the user is visiting.
Cookies may be divided into “technical” cookies and “profiling” cookies, on the basis of their purpose:
- Technical cookies are used solely for the purpose of “carrying out the transmission of a communication on an electronic communications network, or insofar as this is strictly necessary to the provider of an information society service that has been explicitly requested by the contracting party or user to provide the said service” (section 122, point 1 of the Personal Data Protection Code). They are not used for any other purpose, and are normally installed directly by the owner or operator of the web site. They may be divided into browsing or session cookies, which guarantee normal browsing and use of the web site (for example, by allowing a user to make a purchase or log on to access a reserved area); analytics cookies, which are considered similar to technical cookies if they are used directly by the site operator to collect information, in aggregate form, on the number of users who visit the site and how; function cookies, which allow the user to browse the site on the basis of a series of selected criteria (such as preferred language, products selected for purchase) in order to improve the service provided to the user. Installation of these cookies does not require users’ prior consent, though notification must be provided under art. 13 of EU Reg. 679/2013.
- Profiling cookies are cookies used to create user profiles in order to send advertising messages in line with the preferences expressed by users while browsing the internet. European and Italian legislation require users to be adequately informed of the use of profiling cookies and consent to their use. Section of the 122 of the Personal Data Protection Code states that “Storing information, or accessing information that is already stored, in the terminal equipment of a contracting party or user shall only be permitted on condition that the contracting party or user has given his consent after being informed in accordance with simplified arrangements in accordance with section 13, paragraph 3” (art. 122, paragraph 1 of the Personal Data Protection Code).
In terms of lifespan, we may distinguish between “session” cookies and “permanent” cookies:
- Session cookies are temporary and disappear from the computer when the user leaves the web site visited or closes the browser; they are normally stored in the computer’s cache memory.
- Permanent cookies stay on the user’s computer after the browser is closed, until they expire or the user deletes them. The expiration date is determined by the site that uses them. They are often used to track users’ habits, so that when users visit the site again, it will be able to read the information stored in memory and adapt to the users’ preferences.
As for their paternity, we may distinguish between “own” cookies and “third-party” cookies:
- Own cookies are sent by the operator of the web site the user is visiting.
- Third-party cookies are sent through the web site the user is visiting, but by a third party other than the operator of that web site. These cookies are not controlled by the site operator; for more information on third-party cookies and a description of their purposes, visit the pages supplying the appropriate information.
What cookies do we use on our Site?
To improve users’ experience browsing our Site, and to detect malfunctions or obtain other data allowing us to create advertising offers based on the User’s profile, we use the cookies listed and described in the table below.
You may decide whether or not to consent to various types of cookie, but bear in mind that some of these cookies are necessary to view the Site or to permit safe, efficient browsing.
Specifically, we will only use profiling and marketing cookies with your consent. The categories of cookie that are exempt from the need for consent are:
- technical cookies strictly necessary for supplying the service (such as preference cookies, session cookies, load balancing, etc.)
- statistical cookies managed directly by PepeInteractive (and not by a third party), on the condition that the data are not used for profiling purposes.
- third-party statistical cookies (in anonymous form only).
|Cookie name||Type||Description and purposes||Lifespan||Sent by|
|_gat||Statistical||Used by Google Analytics to limit the frequency of requests.||1 day|
|i18n_redirected||Technical (optional)||Determines the visitor’s preferred language. Allows the web site to appear in the preferred language the next time the visitor returns.||1 year||tenutasangiorgio.com|
|tsg-age-confirm||Technical||Registers the confirmation that the user is of age||Permanent||tenutasangiorgio.com|
|_ga||Statistical||Registers a unique ID used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the internet site.||2 years|
|_gid||Statistical||Registers a unique ID used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the internet site.||1 day|
|pagead/landing||Marketing||Collects data on the users’ behavior on different websites, with the aim to present more pertinent ads. This also allows the website to limit the amount of times the same advertisement is shown to the same user.||Session|
|test_cookie||Marketing||Used to verify whether the user’s browser supports cookies.||1 day|
|fr||Marketing||Used by Facebook to provide a number of advertising products, such as real-time offers from third-party advertisers.||3 months|
|tsg-cart||Technical||Determines whether a record should be kept of the user’s browsing for statistical purposes.||Permanent||tenutasangiorgio.com|
|_fbp||Marketing||Used by Facebook to provide a number of advertising products, such as real-time offers from third-party advertisers.||3 months|
|_gcl_au||Marketing||Used by Google AdSense to test advertising efficiency of every website which uses their services.||3 months||Google Tag Manager|
|tr||marketing||Used by Facebook to provide a series of advertising products, such as real-time offers by third-party advertisers.||session||Facebook.com (USA)|
As shown in the table, the PepeInteractive web site uses Google Analytics, a web analysis service supplied by Google, Inc. (“Google”), along with Facebook and other tools permitting customisation of marketing on the basis of the User’s preferences and tracking of statistical data for improvement of the business.
How can you manage cookies on your device?
Each browser has its own way of limiting or disabling cookies.
Here are some links for information on how to change your browser settings: